Tuesday, November 30, 2010

An "Acquired" Taste

A look by Viktor & Rolf

How is it that something that you once found unbearable can become one of your favorite things???

I remember the first time I tasted wine, I was 15 years old. The first sip made my face crinkle in disgust - it was sour, bitter, and woody all at the same time. It left a gross film in my mouth and I reckoned it tasted a bit like how I imagined dirt would. 'How on earth could anyone stand this stuff?'

Fast forward 10 years and there is almost nothing I enjoy more than chilling out and sipping a rich glass of red wine (right now chianti is my red of choice, cabernet sauvignon a close second). I guess it's true: beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

In fashion, the same idiom is applied. Some of my favorite pieces are those that I could never see myself wearing and at first sight, they even confuse me a little. 'Do I love it, or hate it?!' And yet over time, when better understood, shocking pieces (like the ones shown above and below) can become timeless works of art that provoke and inspire. Fashion is art, and without some of the wacky creations put out on the runway, we would not be where we are today. In other words, your all-time favorite sweater or coat or dress has been, in one way or another, inspired by the runway! Go figure.

I guess fashion is just like wine - It might end up being your new obsession, if you open your mind to it!

One of my favorites from the late Alexander McQueen

A look from Yohji Yamamoto's S/S 2011




No comments:

Post a Comment