Sunday, February 27, 2011

Inspiration: Music

Music and fashion are inextricably linked. Both are used as a means of expression and communication that transcends the barriers of language. Both are a reflection of our mood and personality, and have the power to influence our emotions. So, it's no wonder that when it comes to finding inspiration, music is my go-to source.
I love finding  new artists and listening to the evolution of particular genres - the blending of hip-hop with dance, for example, or rock with electronic. Music is an ever-changing entity that can transform something static into something dynamic. Music is therapeutic - whenever I'm feeling bored, sad, or lonely, I blast some Cut Copy and my spirits are lifted immediately.
But how is music related to fashion? There is an undeniable creative relationship between the two - take for example the music that a designer chooses to play at his/her runway show. The music has the power to enhance the overall ambience and theme that the designer is trying to portray. In this way, the viewers are able to really feel the emotion and mood that the designer has injected into their collection. 




The fusion of music and fashion is deep-rooted, and for me, it really comes to the forefront at music shows and festivals. The people who attend these events come dressed to impress: they want to emulate the music they are about to hear. I get so inspired by all the unique fashion and music when I go to these festivals that I am buzzing for weeks afterwards!

Coachella music festival: a melting pot of fashion + music

Ready to Rock! A look from Coachella music festival
Music serves as a great inspiration for me - I admire its ability to channel the creative force into something cohesive and meaningful. I could certainly never imagine my life without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment